Sanitation to Reduce Garbage Pickups to Concentrate on Storm Cleanup
NEW YORK CITY — Garbage pickup will be reduced citywide so crews can concentrate on clearing debris in the areas hardest hit by Hurricane Sandy, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Tuesday.
Areas that have trash removed three times a week may see that cut to twice a week and areas that see two weekly collections may see that halved as crews work around the clock to clear storm damage in the Rockaways, Coney Island and Staten Island, the city said.
"We will reduce garbage collections going forward in areas not heavily impacted by the storm to allow us to keep our resources in the neighborhoods that need it most,” Bloomberg said in a press release.
Curbside recycling collection has been suspended and DSNY will not write tickets for garbage left on the sidewalk while the emergency continues, the city said.
The DSNY said it has collected mote than 55,000 tons of debris since Sandy struck last week.