Fire Breaks Out at Landmarked Paradise Theater
THE BRONX — A fire broke out in the historic Paradise Theater Monday afternoon, the FDNY officials said.
Firefighters fought the blaze at the landmarked theater at 2403 Grand Concourse for more than an hour before bringing it under control shortly after 5 p.m., a fire department spokesman said. No injuries were reported, he said.
Fire officials received a call about the fire at 3:54 p.m. and responded to the scene four minutes later, according to the FDNY.
It was not immediately clear what sparked the fire, which tore through the top floor and caused caused "extensive fire, water and smoke damage," a fire spokesman said.
The Loew’s Paradise, designed by John Eberson, was completed in September 1929 and was one of five “Wonder” theaters built by the Loew's theater chain, according to the City Planning Commission.