Queens Film Festival Seeks Local and International Talent

By Ewa Kern-Jedrychowska on September 26, 2012 6:57am 

LONG ISLAND CITY — The Queens World Film Festival is calling for submissions from local and international filmmakers for its third edition in March, organizers said.

The festival — which has goal to screen "challenging films from around the world and around the corner” — received more than 200 submissions last year, 30 of which were filmmakers Queens. But the festival accepts submissions from all over the world, including Spain, France, Italy and Japan, said Katha Cato, one of the festival's directors.

“We had all sorts of productions,” said Cato, who organizes the festival with her filmmaker husband, Don Cato. “From big productions to microbudget and truly independent features and shorts.” 

Filmmakers can submit their movies in numerous categories, including animation, documentary, narrative and LGBT, through the submission page on the festival’s website. About 120 of the films were screened last year.

Opening in March at the Museum of the Moving Image, the festival will also screen movies at The Secret Theatre in Long Island City, the Zukor screening room at the Kaufman Astoria Studios, the Jackson Triplex Theatre, The Renaissance Charter School and at P.S. 69 in Jackson Heights.

The winner of last year’s festival, “Queen,” a film director by Adam Rose telling the story of a drag queen cabaret star looking for love, will be screened Thursday, Sept. 27, at 7:30 p.m. at the top of the Z Hotel in Long Island City.

Russell Green's “Easy Street,” which won last year’s best narrative short, and “Andrew, Story of a Closet Monster,” by Elliot Lobell, who won the emerging filmmaker award, will also be shown.

For more information, go to www.queensworldfilmfestival.com.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement