Second Ave. Subway Work Resumes Except for Blasting
UPPER EAST SIDE — The MTA has halted any further blasting work related to the new subway tunnel underneath Second Avenue, as the agency continues to investigate the problems that caused a tremendous eruption aboveground last week.
The August 21 blast — which took place 40 feet below ground as workers made room for a station's elevator shaft — shattered Upper East Side windows and sent cement pieces and dust particles flying sky-high along East 72nd Street and Second Avenue.
MTA officials said last week they still did not know why Tuesday's blast had caused such damage, and that two investigators would be helping them determine what happened.
"We won't restart work until we know what happened, and we have a plan for making sure it won't happen again," said MTA spokesman Adam Lisberg on Wednesday.