Carlos Rios Jr., 6, Dies After Being Given Methadone in NyQuil Bottle

By Ben Fractenberg on January 30, 2012 10:19pm 

A 36-year-old Bronx woman was charged with reckless endangerment after her son ingested methadone that was stored in a NyQuil Bottle. on Jan. 28, 2011.
A 36-year-old Bronx woman was charged with reckless endangerment after her son ingested methadone that was stored in a NyQuil Bottle. on Jan. 28, 2011.
View Full Caption
Scott Olson/Getty Images

BRONX — A 6-year-old South Bronx boy tragically died over the weekend after his father mistakenly gave him methadone that had been placed in a cough syrup bottle, police sources said.

Carlos Rios Jr. went into cardiac arrest on Saturday at his home on East 147th Street and Brook Avenue after ingesting the powerful substance, which is used to help treat narcotic addicts.

The boy's mother, Raquel DeLeon, 36, is suspected of storing the drug in a NyQuil bottle, unbeknownst to the father.

Rios Jr. was rushed to Lincoln Hospital and then transferred to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, where he died.

DeLeon was charged with reckless endangerment, the NYPD said.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement