By Sonja Sharp and Amy Zimmer
MIDTOWN — As firefighters worked to put out a small blaze in the tony Ritz-Carlton Hotel's basement laundry room on Monday evening, guests who left their rooms when alarms went off were treated to champagne in the lobby.
Firefighters from two engines and two trucks responded to the 6:30 p.m. call of a "dryer fire" at 50 Central Park South that was swiftly under control within half an hour, fire officials said.
Fire officials reported no injuries at the legendary hotel, which boasts of "259 lavishly-appointed guestrooms," on its website.
In response to the fire, as guests waited for elevators to resume running after firefighters investigated the building, they were greeted by champagne, a worker said.
Diane Thomas, a visitor from London, said she waited about half an hour in the lobby to be let back into her room.
"I'm not terribly inconvenienced. I'm enjoying champagne," she said.
"I didn't know it was a fire at first. But [the trucks] parked outside our hotel, so it looked serious," said hotel guest Marwan Helayel, of Dubai. "Accidents happen. Yesterday we saw the marathon, today we saw the fire department."