By Carla Zanoni and Tom Liddy
WASHINGTON HEIGHTS — A raging fire erupted in a Washington Heights laundromat Thursday afternoon, authorities said.
The second-alarm blaze drew more than 100 firefighters to the shop at 3802 Broadway, near 158th Street, just before 12:15 p.m., according to the FDNY.
Battalion Chief Robert Smith said the fire, which traveled through duct work to the second floor, was "strictly accidental."
"I am very upset," said the shop's owner, who did not want to be named.
No injuries were reported and the fire was placed under control at 1:05 p.m.
George Hill, 52, was washing his clothing at the laundromat when the fire erupted. He said two men were working on lighting in the ceiling when flames burst through the tiles.
"It's one of those things, you know," said the 20-year Washington Heights resident. "We're lucky nobody was hurt."