Whiskey Flows During Murray Hill Irish Bar Fire

By Ben Fractenberg on February 28, 2011 7:10pm 

The fire department had to spray water down the bar's chimney to put out the fire.
The fire department had to spray water down the bar's chimney to put out the fire.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Ben Fractenberg

By Ben Fractenberg

DNAinfo Reporter/Producer

MURRAY HILL — Patrick Webster, 27, was tending bar at the Failte Irish Whiskey Bar in Murray Hill around 3:30 p.m. Monday when a man ran through the door and told those inside that they had to get out.

Webster said he then went outside and saw smoke pouring from the chimney of the bar, which is on Second Avenue between 30th and 29th streets.

The fire department showed up soon after and sprayed water down the chimney, while Webster and a few patrons watched the pub's floor flood with water.

The fire was out by 3:47 p.m., the FDNY said.

A fire is traditionally lit in the fireplace every day, according to staff, but it was highly unusual to have the New York fire department putting it out.

"This one guy kept playing pool," said Webster of an afternoon drinker, unfazed during the drama.

A worker was left mopping the floor at a little after 4:20 p.m. while the customary fire in the fireplace was out for the first time during the day in three years, Webster said.

The bar remained open for the evening crowd.

A fire broke out the chimney of the Failte Irish Whiskey Bar in Murray Hill on Feb. 28.
A fire broke out the chimney of the Failte Irish Whiskey Bar in Murray Hill on Feb. 28.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Ben Fractenberg

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement